Image Map

June 6, 2019

Why Contraction Surgery Succeeds!

Contraction Surgery is such a simple, yet wonderful, way for your students to succeed at learning contractions!  Often we think and believe that contractions are an easy skill for students to learn and understand.  When we apply a project to this skill, it becomes a delicate art of skill and knowledge hidden in the fun of Contraction Surgery




Student engaged in Contraction Surgery.


My interest in Contraction Surgery started years ago when I saw a simple pin online, even before Pinterest was a hot spot for ideas.  Just the picture alone got my mind spinning!  I was teaching first grade at the time and thought, "I'm going to do this!"  I created this product, and headed on my merry way!  And it was FUN!  

After being away from Primary teaching for a few years, I have returned to Second Grade with the promise in my heart to complete Contraction Surgery again, and really dive into discovering why it is such a success!  


Why is it a Success?

Contraction Surgery wraps two things together that make it a success.  These two things are hands-on learning and FUN!  Yes, I said it, FUN!  Imagine that in today's learning environment!!  So, let's start there!


Students are engaged in Contraction Surgery

FUN!

Contraction Surgery is FUN if you make it so!  You don't have to create a total classroom transformation for this to happen.  I did something simpler.  I added some blue Dollar Tree table cloths to the ceiling for a "operating room" feel, bought some masks and gloves from Walmart, and, with the help of another teacher on my team who participated with this in her room, gave students hospital gear to wear!  (Donations from doctors offices and emergency rooms can help you gather these things too!) 


This classroom is set up for Contraction Surgery!


I dressed in a super cheap scrub from Walmart! Our Dr. Apostrophe decorated our board and welcomed our "Contractionologists" into the surgery suite!  


Contraction Surgery Dr. Apostrophe welcomed students to their surgery day!

 I also hit the bulletin board paper room for the "surgery table" covers.  I also rolled out a long piece of paper on the floor for our "patients" to "recover" on.  All this set the stage to engage and get the kids ready for FUN!  These steps are so simple too, so don't skip over these fun little extras!  


Student table is set up for Contraction Surgery

Hands-On Learning!  

Don't underestimate the lack of understanding students may have with contractions!  Contraction Surgery provides the opportunity for students to manipulate the word cards in a way that goes to their higher-order thinking. They must analyze the word and work to create the new contraction.  Many times we take it for granted that students just "know" the two words, because we use contractions all the time in our conversations.  But, in reality, this activity makes them deconstruct their knowledge of contractions and work in a backwards thinking process.  I "know" contractions, but now I have to apply my knowledge to the process in front of me-much more difficult than we can imagine.  To scaffold this instruction, I allowed my students to access a contraction list and to "consult" with one another!  


Students enjoy helping each other with their Contraction Surgery work!


I also allowed students to perform "emergency measures" on words that were incorrectly formed.  This meant that other students could pick up "dying" patients from the recovery room and fix the contractions they found were errors.  We saved these to be talked about later!  

So, as you can see, although we think contractions are easy for students to apply and learn, it, in many ways, is an opposite situation!  By creating a fun, safe environment through Contraction Surgery we can allow them to practice the process in a way that is both memorable and fun!  









Contraction surgery was a BLAST! I had completely forgotten how amazing it was! It was engaging, rigorous, and fun all in one! And guys, we are making assumptions about what kids know about contractions! I had most of my class needing to access our Kindles and Enchanted Learnings list to feel successful at this! They learned a lot and had a great time doing it! Product link in the bio!! Honestly an amazing process and so worth the time!! • • • #secondgradeteacher #secondgrade #secondgradefollowloop #secondgradetribe #secondgradeteachers #secondgradefun #secondgradesquad #secondgradeshenanigans #2ndgradeteacher #2ndgraderocks #2ndgradeclassroom #2ndgradeswag #2ndgradefun #iteachsecond #iteach2ndgrade #iteachsecondgrade #iteach2nd #classroomtransformation #teachersfollowingteachers #contractionsurgery #teachingcontractions
A post shared by Julie from The Best Days (@thebestdaysclassroom) on

And, what's even better is that it doesn't have to stop there!  You can provide additional practice with contractions in this product!  In addition to getting everything you need to make your Contraction Surgery a success, you get additional practice pieces!  


Click to find Contraction Surgery in my TpT Store!


AND, so fun items to make a great page in a school memory book or just to take home to hang on the fridge!  

I'd love to hear your thoughts on Contraction Surgery, so drop a comment below!  Also, to check out all the things going on in my classroom, I'd love for you to follow me over at Instagram or Facebook too!  


Pin for later!  


Contraction Surgery set up!






No comments: