Image Map

January 22, 2019

Book Clubs for Kids: Why Student Choice is NOT that Hard to Do!

Book Clubs for kids, also known as Literature Circles, have been around for a very long time.  However,  Book Clubs for kids is one of the most underutilized tools in the teacher's tool chest of skills.  When you look at Balanced Reading's fundamental truths, it screams Book Clubs for kids, especially for older elementary students.  Yet, we continue to follow the guidelines of Big Business in our classrooms and go with the readers provided by these book companies than to provide real literature with a purpose.  Book Clubs for kids do just that!  So, how do we pick books and how do we allow students a choice in book picks without them being unrealistic their reading levels.  Here's how!  


This girl is happy because she is getting to pick the Book Club books!  Her choice!



First of all, it is key to understand that student accountability and responsibility is the fundamental element of Book Clubs for kids!  Without it, you will be chasing students down and all around your classroom trying to get them to complete this work.  Starting with the basics of how to do Book Clubs for kids must come from you, but the rest is based on their ability to be a member of a group that is counting on them.  This is why Book Club book choice is so key to the success of the Clubs themselves.  I will state, for the record, that I DO CHOOSE THE BOOKS IN THE END for each student-just in case you want to give up because this seems too far fetched for you!  It's all in how you manipulate the choice that gets the group to be cohesive and complete!  Let's take a look!  

Purpose

First, target your groups needs.  This can be as simple as reading level to as complex as character development through deep analysis.  You must decide what the purpose of the group is.  You will also be looking at what children you want to put in this group!  Have a flexible list, because this is where the fine manipulation comes into play-having that general list.  Here's an example of where I am going with my class:

  • Advance Reading Level and Comprehension - 2 groups
  • Character Development - 2 groups
  • Continue Basic Comprehension and Growth - 1 group

Book Selection

Next, I select the books I want to use.  This step, at times, can come first.  I usually work together within these steps, as I know what books I have sets of.  I target the books and what kids I want to have in each groups.  Again, I keep a flexible list, because I know I can change groups around based on their interest too!  This year I'm in Second Grade, so here's what I'm looking at for book choice next:
  • Tornado by Betsy Byard - 2 groups
  • Frog and Toad - 2 groups for Character Development
  • Henry and Mudge - 1 group, Basic Comprehension 

Student Book Choice

Now comes the next step, student choice.  Label the books you are planning to use.  I put post-its on the books numbered 1-4.  I allow students to examine the books, including reading the back, looking inside,  and checking out anything else they may want to do.  I do this in smaller groups, over the course of one or two days.  Students want to see and examine the books to make good choices.  This should become an important step to the selection process.  Plus, it gives you time to prep folders and papers as they are doing this.  



Next, I print out post-its for book selection.  Each student gets a book selection post-it.  They write their name and their book choices-1st, 2nd, and 3rd-on the post-it.  They turn it into me so that I have their choices.  It's as easy as this!  Again, it's a fine game of manipulation after this, but you have done one of the most important steps to student buy-in!  

Assigning Books

It is time for the grand manipulation.  Here's how this goes down!  First, sort all the groups by who picked what for their first choices.  You can then pull those kids that you have picked earlier for those books.  This one is easy.  Next, examine where your second book picks fall.  Usually, I can place all of my kids by the first or second choice.  They really do pick the right books.  When I get a student who has not picked the book I need for them to be in, I look at the following:
  1. Is there room in the Book Club they want this time!  If it isn't too far of a stretch, I will usually look at this as a choice.  
  2. Did the child at least pick their "book" as third choice.  
  3. If the child did not pick their "book", I pull them and I conference with them.  I explain that their book choice was filled and that ________ is the only spot I have.  (The next part is KEY!!!)  Then I promise them FIRST CHOICE next time-and I make sure I write it down and STICK TO IT! 
They are usually thrilled with this idea, because they know their valued in the process.  All the while, you are winning at getting them in their proper Book Club books!  

I do believe that this is all a very gentle balance.  It is always key to remember that student choice is one of the key components in Book Clubs with kids!  If you over use play this balance, they get onto your game and you will have some difficulty completing that fine art of manipulation.  Value their choices and balance it with your needs-it works every time!  Any other tricks and idea, drop me a comment!  

Differentiated Book Clubs:  These products contain all you need to accomplish amazing Book Club moments in your classroom!  


Advanced level of book clubs are for 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade students.


Pin for Later!  

This child is picking a book for Book Clubs for Kids!  Students choice is key


Read more about Book Clubs for Kids here too!  



No comments: