Image Map

October 31, 2019

Build a Game: A Super Easy Way to Include Student-Led Learning in Your Classroom

If you are like me, you are constantly looking for ways for students to prove that they understand a concept or skill.  To me, a test does not provide true understanding of a skill.  I like to have some kind of Project Based Learning to accompany a topic or skill that they have learned.  That's where Build A Game comes into play!  


Build a Game for Student-Led Learning



What's Build A Game?

Build A Game is a super easy way for students, and you, to create a project that shows their knowledge. Students create the game cards based on a subject you assign or a subject they are studying, maybe in Genius Hour.  Students must design all the parts to the game-from the rules to the questions.  It is completely designed by them!  


How Does it Work?

In my class, I assigned the skill for the Build A Game activity.  Students then worked alone to design their game. They met with friends to run through the game and make decisions about what worked and what didn't.  Then they took their game to final product.  This is where the rubric truly comes into play.  This product includes a rubric that can show students exactly what is expected.  Students should refer to the rubric each time they work, but especially when working on the final product.  This way students know the expectations as they work into their final product.





Let Them Struggle!

Build A Game is an uncharted territory for most kids. They may or may not have played a lot of board games in their life.  I do have my games available to them during this time to look at and think about rules, etc.  But, I don't provide a ton of support in these areas.  Students will learn more about problem solving when creating something like this than if I were to answer all of their questions.  Students will also seek out other students who are being more successful with designing these games, naturally creating leaders in this area.  That is one of the wonderful side effects of an activity like this-and, for you, as the teacher, it is then easy to discover strengths and weaknesses in students in general in an area that is new and different for them!  It's a win-win!  


Build a Game Sample project


So, give it a try!  After all, you never know where Build A Game will take you and your students!  You just might have an amazing time together as a class!  I'd love to hear what you think too!  Leave me a comment with your thoughts!  AND don't forget to follow my over at Facebook and Instagram to follow my classroom journey!  I'd love to have you!

Pin for Later



Build a Game for Student-Led Learning





No comments: