Image Map

February 12, 2019

Book Clubs for Kids: 5 Tips for Grading Student Book Clubs

Book Clubs for Kids is one of the BEST ways to use real literature to build comprehension in students. Student choice and student jobs, or roles, are key components to success in Book Clubs.  But there is the question that teachers who want to start Book Clubs ask the most-How do I grade Book Clubs for kids?  Let's take a Look at some tips to grading Book Clubs!






Tip #1:  Use a Well Developed Rubric to Grade


Honestly, this is the BEST way to grade.  I spent years examining what my students were doing in Book Clubs for kids to adapt and change to meet their needs.  Once I created an area, I would try it out and see how it worked for a diverse number of students.  It was adapted and changed over and over again until I found the perfect combination of social interactions and academics.  I used this grading rubric with groups I sat through and groups I observed as I walked around.  It is a life-saver when it comes to scoring students.  
Rubrics for grading are one easy way to get a grade from Book Clubs for kids.


Tip #2:  Grade their Meetings


Document everything!  It is key to keep track of what was said in Book Clubs beyond what the students provide.  When I first start Book Clubs for kids, I sit in on their meetings.  I also ask Higher-Order Thinking Questions. I take the time to write down what each child is saying.  What do I do with this?  I keep the papers so that I can tract their progress over the year.  I also examine these pages for strengths and weaknesses in students and to readjust groupings.  This also leads me to lessons I can teach to build our Book Club skills.  


Tip #3:  Grade their Book Club Jobs


In addition to using the rubric, I also grade the Book Club for kids jobs.  This is where I gain valuable grades, as you can either grade these separately or all together, depending on the level of skill your students have.  In the primary grades, I grade them as one grade.  In intermediate, I tend to grade these as stand-alone grades because of the amount of work it takes to prepare them.  You can also apply point values to each job and, then, add those up as one score in the end.  There are plenty of variations along the way to play with.  Try some out and pick what works best for you!  This is key!  


Tip #4:  Grade for Specific Skills


Book Clubs for kids can also be adapted for specific skills.  On top of the Book Club jobs, you can add open ended pages to the Book Club to target a specific skill you want to assess.  Be thoughtful about the amount of extra work though.   You don't want to add too much to their plate, as reading and completing the main tasks can fill a student's time.  


Tip #5: Grade with Expectations


Sometime teachers look at Book Clubs for kids as "fun work".  It is important to grade with the same expectations you would on any class assignment.  This is NOT "fun work".  Yes, kids have fun in Book Clubs, but their work should be taken as seriously as any classwork is.  Look at content, conventions, and anything else you would normally look for in student work.  This can take their work level to the next realm of learning!  Expect and they shall achieve!  

Need a great rubric for Book Clubs for kids?  Check out my two levels of Differentiated Book Clubs!  They have a variety of assessment pieces built in for you to use!  I'd also love to hear about your tips for assessing kids in Book Clubs!  Drop a comment and share your ideas!  Or, ask a question!  I'd love to hear them!  





Other Book club for Kids Posts to Read: 

Why I Don't Do Guided Reading:  Book Clubs Exposed

Student Choice in Book Clubs

The Secret of Getting the Best out of Student Jobs

5 Things You Should Look for During Book Clubs


Pin for Later:


5 great tips for Book Club grading in your elementary classroom.





No comments: